Home
Organization
Facilities
Memory Brick Garden
Clubs & Activities
Current Events
Digital Library
History
Related Services & Facilities
Related Links
Free Help Filing Taxes
Arizona Senior Olympics
Community Interest
Neighborhood Watch Program

Home > Digital Library > History of Dreamland Villa

History of Dreamland Villa

The first known history was the 20 year anniversary in 1981, recorded in an article in the Citizen. The second history in the Citizen, titled “How It All Began” by Warren Hadley was written to commemorate the 30th anniversary in 1991. The third history, a booklet, “The 40th Anniversary" in 2001 was written by Littleton Bradley, Lottie King and Robert White. The most recent booklet, "A History of Dreamland Villa Community Club" by Gene Meade commemorates the 50th anniversary in 2011. Most of these are available below as downloadable pdf files. There are also pictures of the 50th anniversary (2011) celebration.

A BRIEF SUMMARY

The concept of Dreamland Villa, a community exclusively for persons 55 years of age and over, was inspired by the creation of Youngstown, Arizona, in the 1950's. Joe and Ross Farnsworth began Dreamland Villa's first section with 200 acres of land near the corner of Main and 54TH Streets. Ground was broken in 1958 with the grand opening in January 1959. Ultimately, Dreamland Villa grew to become a retirement community made up of eighteen sections and over five thousand individuals. Construction continued until the early 70's on the later sections. When Dreamland Villa was built, it was located in the county several miles from the borders of the City of Mesa. To this day, even though Mesa has experienced tremendous growth, Dreamland Villa remains a county island completely surrounded by the City of Mesa.

The Dreamland Villa Community Club was chartered as a non-profit organization by the State of Arizona on June 1, 1961, and was initially operated by the Farnsworth Construction Co. William Read became the first president of Dreamland Villa when, in 1972, the first board of directors was elected and the assets of the facilities known as Read Hall were transferred to the Club. The Board of Directors consists of fifteen voluntary members elected by members of the Club. The Board, through its committees and staff, conducts the day-to-day business of the Club.

The newspaper, the Citizen, was first published in the early 1960's. An annual directory of Dreamland residents is distributed to all residents the first part of each year. In 2010 the Dreamland Villa Community Club website, www.dreamlandvilla.org, was initiated.

The library was initially housed where the business office is now located. Later, as the Villa grew, the library moved to its present location at the corner of Butte and 55th Streets. Help Services, an independent non-profit corporation, was started in June 1973, by Fred Larsen, a Villa resident. Help Services began collecting and loaning sick room equipment in September of that year to the residents of Dreamland Villa and Velda Rose Estates.

The community flourishes because of the free giving of time and effort by the many volunteers including those who serve on the Club's Board of Directors and committees. It is hoped that you will feel free to join these volunteers and to promote our Club and community in the future for the benefit of all.


A History of Dreamland Villa
A compilation of material written by Gene Meade for the 50th Anniversary Celebration.

50th Anniversary Celebration
All the festivities, with pictures.

40th Anniversary
Downloadable pdf file

Memorials

Read Hall / Pool Party: June 20, 2014

Dreamland Villa Retirement Community
320 N. 55th Place, Mesa, AZ 85205
(480) 832-3461
Adult 55+ Community

Site empowered by
WebOnTheFly